Lawyer, DS Avocats Canada (Co-Chair)
The purpose of QCGN’s Access to Justice in English Initiative is to to engage the justice system to improve access to justice for the English-speaking communities in Quebec. Specifically, we seek to:
- Raise awareness about access to justice in English in Quebec;
- Engage the justice system to improve access to justice in English in targeted areas;
- Mobilize community resources across Quebec to improve access to justice in English in Quebec;
- Refer English-speaking individuals and groups to appropriate justice resources; and
- Enhance the QCGN’s analytics and reporting capacity about the state of access to justice in English in Quebec and the progress being made to improve it.
During a Community Forum held in April 2018, members of the English-speaking community of Quebec decided that administrative justice, youth and family matters, and seniors’ rights shall be the main areas of focus. Consequently, the project has four committees: Steering, Administrative Justice, Family and Youth, and Seniors. These committees gather practitioners, professionals, advocates, and outstanding community leaders from across the province working for the rights of the English-speaking communities in Quebec. The work of the committees is supported by a professional staff composed of a Director for Access to Justice, a Project Coordinator and two Research Fellows.
We would like to acknowledge and thank the Department of Justice of Canada for their funding and contributions to this initiative.